Please follow these rules when posting on the forums or participating in the chat room.
Be polite, courteous and respectful
We are all human beings with our own thoughts and opinions. It's OK to disagree with another EggXpert, but please be civilized and respectful in doing so.
Use the search feature before posting
If there's already a thread about your subject, you might find your answer there. You can also post in that same thread so the relevant information can be found in one convenient location.
Post in the appropriate forum category
We've done our best to organize EggXpert into categories and topics that are easy to navigate. Please help us out by finding the category that is related to your post, and starting your thread in that sub-forum.
Use an appropriate title for your thread
You'll get more attention and better responses. For example: A bad topic would be "I have a question". A good topic would be "Question about cooling for a Core i7 CPU".
Listen to site Administrators and Moderators
Our Admins and Mods are here to help, and to keep things positive. You can identify an Admin/Mod by the Admin or Moderator badge in their avatar. For a list of current Admins/Mods, click here.
Post in English only
Our site is visited by EggXperts from around the world, but to keep things simple we prefer that all communication be in the same language. For now, we've decided that the language should be English.
Have fun and enjoy!
We're all here to help each other out and have a good time!
Please Do Not:
Flame or personally attack other members
There is a fine line between disagreeing with someone, and telling someone they are a fundamentally flawed individual (or any other flavor of insult). Personal attacks are rude, and do nothing to further a point you're trying to prove.
Post about Religion, Politics, or other controversial topics
If you are interested in debating these subjects -- or if you just want to speak your mind in a less controlled environment -- you can request to become a "Selectee". For more information on the "Controversial Discussions" forum and becoming a Selectee, click here.
Please note: Even in the Selectee area, the forum rules listed here still apply.
Post any type of violent, obscene, or disturbing material
This rule applies text, images, video, and any other form of user-submitted material on the site. If you think the content you're posting might offend someone, err on the side of caution and don't post it. You can always contact an Admin/Mod first to get feedback.
If you're still unsure, here are some examples. Violent, obscene or disturbing material includes (but is not limited to):
• The use profanity or bigotry (this includes intentionally word-twisting or misspelling)
• Vulgar sexual references
• Racist, sexist or generally hateful language
• Explicit violence, blood or gore
Give links to illegal material, websites, or downloads
Regardless of what they're called (warez, roms, torrents, iso, etc.), this is against the rules. This includes sites that contain viruses, keyloggers, malware, adware, phishing/hoaxes, hacking, bots, or any other not-yet-devised malicious content.
Steal or hijack someone else's thread
This one is pretty straightforward -- stay on topic, or create your own thread.
Argue for the sake of argument
Once you've said your piece in a spirited discussion, don't continue to argue unless you're bringing new subject matter to light. We all want to be right about what we say, but don't post the same thing over and over just so you can have the last word. The best way to provoke further disagreement is to make your statement, then declare the discussion over ("/thread").
Spam topics, tags or advertisements
You won't get a better response if you re-post your subject under multiple forum categories. It clutters the site and makes more work for the Moderators.
Also, if you're here representing a business, please do so in your signature only, keeping in mind the signature guidelines listed below.
Create multiple accounts or impersonate others
Creating multiple accounts is not allowed. Impersonating others, especially Administrators or Moderators, is not allowed.
Create multiple post about the same build
Creating multiple post about the same build is not allowed. Hit the edit button in your original post and edit the post to reflect any changes or add a reply to the post to reflect those changes
Contact Administrators directly for Tech Support
EggXpert is supported by the community; requests for technical assistance should be made on the Product Support forums.
Post in ALL CAPITAL LETTERS
Especially in thread titles. Many consider this to be the equivalent of shouting, and noone will believe you when you tell them your Caps Lock key is broken.
Bump your post
Making a single word reply post with the word Bump in it
Post any information regarding Buying/Selling/Trading
Simply put, this is a liability for EggXpert and our community members. We do not support buying/selling/trading of any personal and/or professional items at this time.
Post personal information
This includes e-mail addresses, phone numbers, home addresses, social security numbers, your mother's maiden name, your first pet's name, or any other remotely identifying information about yourself. If you decide to share personal info with another member, you do so at your own risk, and it's always advisable to use the Private Message feature.
Post copyrighted material, or copy from other sources without citation
If you're copying information from another website or source, do the right thing and post a link or citation. If you're unsure if material is subject to copyright, contact the material's author beforehand to get their permission. Most authors want to see their work distributed, but they also want to be given proper credit.
All rules apply to Avatars and Signatures as well. Nothing controversial should be placed in the signatures even if you are a Selectee, as avatars and signatures are visible to everyone at all times and in any thread/post that you have made in the past.
Forum Rules & Descriptions
When creating your signature, please keep these rules in mind:
- Max size: 150 pixel height, 600-700 pixel width
- One image only, please
- No garish animations, etc. that distract from threads you post in
- Posting a link to personal website or business is acceptable, provided it does not violate the General Forum Rules listed above
Signatures that violate these guidelines will be removed. Here's an example of an acceptable size for your forum signature:
EggXpert: Suggestions & Feedback forum:
• Suggestions and feedback for EggXpert.com (not Newegg.com)
• Serious posts only, please
• A place where new EggXperts can introduce themselves!
Please ask for support in the appropriate forum:
• For computer building/upgrading support, go to: Computer Building & Upgrades
• For televisions, video games, and home theater, go to: TV, Games & Entertainment
• For software, media, antivirus and coding support, go to: Software & Media
• For telecommunications support, go to: Phones & Communication
• For cameras, camcorders, and video editing support, go to: Cameras & Camcorders
• For all other hardware support, go to: A+ Hardware Support
• For tips, tutorials & DIY projects, go to: Tips & Tricks
• For MP3 players & GPS support, go to: MP3 & Portables
• For notebook/laptop support, go to: Computers
• For security & networking support, go to: Home & Office
• For serious technical discussion, go to: In Depth Tech Talk
• For modding questions, ideas and tutorials, go to: Modding
When asking for support in any of the above forums, please include the following:
• Name your thread title with your problem. Over-generalized titles like "Help Needed" are not recommended.
• Give as much information on your system specs as possible (such as operating system, motherboard, graphics card, etc.). Include model numbers, and fill out the System Specs tab!
• Include any relevant additional information, such as error messages or post codes.
We reserve the right to change any of these rules, without notice, at any time. All members are required to follow these rules if they wish to participate in the EggXpert Forums or Chat Room.